NIE: How to get it?


If you have decided to establish yourself, work or invest in Spain, keep this acronym in mind: NIE or Foreigner Identity Number. This document will be your identification in Spain and is necessary for practically any procedure: to work, set up a company, pay taxes, acquire or sell a property, buy a vehicle, inheritance any asset, access to public health care, hire a telephone line, …and many more things.


Depending on whether you are a EU citizen or not, procedure is different, as well as the demanded requirements by the Spanish government. So, inform yourself before about the documents that you must show so you do not have unpleasant surprises.

European citizens must request the certificate of registration of EU citizen and must provide the following documentation:

  • EX18 application form duly completed.
  • Valid passport or national identity document.
  • Sufficient economic funds to proof that you can support yourself without working. You should show a bank certificate proving sufficient economical resources, ownership of a pension or ownership of assets. If you are an employee, you must submit a declaration of hiring from employer.
  • Public (EHIC Card) or private medical insurance. In case of being private, it must be a policy without limits, without co-payments and pre-amortization period. If you are an employee, you will not need this insurance because you are covered by Social Security.
  • Tax: with a cost of € 12 that you can pay as well in advance.


Keep calm | BeingBarcelona

Keep calm and be patient

Now that you know what documentation you need, comes the question of how and where: Here comes another obstacle, get a prior appointment! get a lot of, a lot of patience because you’re going to need it.

Request a prior appointment through Internet at the following link



Depending on the city or town, you should go to the corresponding immigration office or to the local police station.


NIE | BeingBarcelona

Certificado EU o NIE

Once all this has been achieved, they will give you a small green paper with your personal information next to an official stamp that, together with your passport, gives you the right to reside and work in Spain.



If you need help with the process, contact BeingBarcelona and we will assist you. Also, ask us in case of being a student, or family member of EU citizen, non-EU citizen, …Helping you is our mission!

2018-09-08T14:16:17+02:00 septembre 8th, 2018|Barcelona, Blog Lola, Lifestyle|0 Comments

Leave A Comment

Uso de cookies

Este sitio web utiliza cookies para que usted tenga la mejor experiencia de usuario. Si continúa navegando está dando su consentimiento para la aceptación de las mencionadas cookies y la aceptación de nuestra política de cookies, pinche el enlace para mayor información.

Aviso de cookies